Erectile Dysfunction Specialist in The Woodlands TX
Treating Men near North Houston Suffering from Sexual Dysfunction
Dr. Miguel Mercado is a board certified urologist located in The Woodlands TX focused on providing you the medical care you need for improved sexual performance. Specializing in male conditions, he is highly trained in the diagnosis of erectile dysfunction and its various methods of treatment. Dr. Mercado has been treating ED for years, and combines extensive experience with a compassionate approach to care. We understand how frustrating male impotence can be and how it can cause you to experience difficulties in your intimate life. Given our special programs, we can help you succeed and achieve satisfaction. As a specialists in the area of men's sexual health, Dr. Mercado is able to test and accurately diagnose your problem, providing you the most effective treatment for erectile dysfucntion.
When you visit his clinic in The Woodlands, he will carefully assess your degree of erectile dysfunction (ED) and address any concerns you may have. He not only addresses the symptoms, but also the underlying cause of male impotence. From there, he will recommend a tailored approach that involves treatments to resolve the sexual dysfunction affecting your intimate life.
How is erectile dysfunction diagnosed?
In making a diagnosis of erectile dysfunction (ED), Dr. Mercado will start by conducting a thorough physical examination and taking a detailed medical and psychosexual history assessment. Talking to your partner can also be helpful in obtaining an accurate history and planning treatment for a successful outcome.
Erectile dysfunction is often associated with various medical conditions, such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus, coronary artery disease, spinal cord compression, hyperlipidemia and pituitary tumors. Therefore, Dr. Mercado may conduct a variety of laboratory tests to determine the root cause of your sexual dysfunction. The tests can include the following:
- Urine test
- Complete blood count
- Fasting blood glucose test
- Prolactin level test
- Lipid profile
- Serum creatinine test
- Morning serum testosterone test
- Prolactin level test
If you are experiencing problems achieving or sustaining an erection, we can help. Reach out to our practice to learn more about your ED treatment options by calling (281) 351-5174.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction: It’s common, and it’s treatable.
If you are dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED), you are not alone: nearly one in every four men over sixty-five will experience some degree of erectile dysfunction.1 Younger men often struggle with ED as well. By taking the time to educate yourself about ED, you’ve made an important first step in finding a solution to erectile dysfunction (impotence).
Erectile Dysfunction is the consistent inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
Erectile Dysfunction can be:
- A total inability to achieve an erection – You can never get an erection.
- An inconsistent ability to do so – You can only occasionally get an erection.
- A tendency to sustain only brief erections – You can get an erection, but can’t keep it long enough for satisfying sex.
What Causes ED?
As a result of recent medical research, it is now known that more than 80% of men suffering from ED can trace its origin to a physical problem or disorder.
For most men, the cause of ED can now be fairly easily identified. Once identified, proper treatment can be recommended that may help you return them to a satisfying sex life.
ED can be caused by physical disorders such as:
- An injury (i.e. brain or spinal cord)
- A disease (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol)
- Various studies have estimated that between 20% – 71% of individuals with diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction.2
- An operation (i.e. prostate gland removal)
- Substance use (i.e. tobacco, drugs, alcohol or medications)
Other facts about Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence):
- Approximately 30 million American men suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Most men with erectile dysfunction still have the ability to have an orgasm and father a child, but often have difficulty doing these things because they can’t get or sustain an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction is not normal and is by no means an inevitable consequence of aging.
- Most men at one time or another during their sexual lives are unable to get or keep an erection. This is normal and does not indicate a problem. However, millions of men of all ages experience this inability as a continuing problem.
- In most cases, erectile dysfunction can be overcome.
- Rosen R, et al. The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int’l J. Impotence Research. 1999; 11, 59-74,
- Penson D, et al. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2004, Vol 17, No. 4, 225-230.
Live near The Woodlands and Spring Tx and looking to get back into the game? Contact erectile dysfunction specialist Dr. Miguel Mercado by calling (281) 351-5174.