Vasectomy Reversal in The Woodlands, TX
Patients who have previously received a vasectomy will occasionally change their mind later on for a wide variety of reasons. While a vasectomy is a permanent form of birth control, there is a procedure that can reverse it effects.
How it Works
A vasectomy procedure involves the cutting of the vas deferens. These tubes are what allows the sperm to travel from a testicle into the semen. During a vasectomy reversal, the surgeon will reconnect the tubes of the vas deferens in order to restore its connection between the sperm and semen.
The restoration of the vas deferens can be accomplished in two different ways:
- Vasovasostomy: sewing the severed ends of the vas deferens back together
- Vasoepididymostomy: attaching the vas deferens directly to the epididymis, which is the organ that holds a man’s storage of sperm.
Risks of a Vasectomy Reversal
A vasectomy reversal procedure is fairly minimal and is not associated wtih many side effects. Uncommon complications that can arise from a vasectomy reversal include:
- Persistent pain
- Development of a hematoma within the scrotum
Chances of Success
A vasectomy reversal will not always be successful. Factors that influence the outcome of a vasectomy reversal are:
- Length of time since vasectomy procedure: the more time that has passed, the less likely the vasectomy reversal will be to work
- Your partner and their age
- Your age
- Prior surgeries near the affected area (hernia, prostate resection, etc.)
After the Vasectomy Reversal
Once a time span of 6 to 8 weeks has passed after the vasectomy reversal, you will attend a follow up appointment to provide a semen sample that your doctor will examine to determine whether or not the procedure was effective.
A Second Attempt
If your first attempt at a vasectomy reversal was unsuccessful, you can still try again. Sometimes, the surgery will prove ineffective due to a blockage that has formed within the vas deferens, or from other various complications.
Each surgeon will have their own vasectomy reversal success rate, which is why it is advised to seek care from an experienced surgeon who has performed several other successful vasectomy reversals.
Contact Dr. Miguel Mercado at (281) 351-5174 today for a vasectomy reversal consult.