If a man becomes concerned about erectile dysfunction (ED), he has a number of options to discover the reason(s) why. Self testing for erectile dysfunction is but one way to find out whether sexual dysfunctions are due to physical or psychological issues.
Types of Self Examinations for ED
Self tests can often help those who are embarrassed to discuss sexual health issues with their physician. Finding the cause of ED is the first all important step to getting appropriate treatment. Various forms of ED self tests can include:
- A nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) stamp test that utilizes a roll of stamps around the penis to confirm erections at night.
- A newer type of NPT test that includes the use of a device to evaluate the quality of the man’s night time erection. This device is typically used for several consecutive nights, and the results electronically stored in the device for Dr. Miguel Mercado to evaluate later on.
- Another test called a penile plethysmograph can be performed by individuals themselves at home. This test uses a device to distinguish between physical and psychological ED as a man watches or listens to sexual material.
These at home tests can ascertain if a man is, or is not, physically able to have an erection, but they will not provide any further information.
The Only Conclusive Diagnosis
Only a urologist can provide an official diagnosis and what the possible reasons for a patient’s erectile dysfunction could be. After reviewing their medical history, performing a physical examination, and testing blood and urine samples, Dr. Miguel Mercado can determine any underlying physical causes that are linked to a man’s ED. Additional tests might be needed as well if these initial evaluations prove inconclusive.
Different types of medical conditions that may result in symptoms of ED include:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Smoking and excessive drinking
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Kidney or thyroid disease
There can also be hormonal problems exacerbating the problem. Once the underlying condition is diagnosed, proper treatment can begin to improve or correct the symptoms of erectile dysfunction.
Emotional and Mental Causes
Many men suffer with ED due to stress, fatigue, or depression. Sleep disorders can also contribute to sexual dysfunction. Many times, these psychological issues combined with a physical problem can make the problem seem even worse.
Finding the Solution to Your Erectile Dysfunction
Be open with your urologist about your current sexual life and history. Ask about your personal risk factors for ED, find out what medications may be contributing to it, what medications you can take to improve the symptoms, and what forms of treatment Dr. Miguel Mercado recommends based on your specific case.
There are 15 to 30 million men who have some form of ED, so you’re not alone, and age should not prevent you from enjoying a healthy sexual life.
Contact Dr. Miguel Mercado if you have questions or concerns about erectile dysfunction.
As always, if you have any further questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please call (281) 351-5174 today!